Thursday, March 8, 2018

¡Viajemos a España!


Bullfighting is a cultural tradition in Spain dating back to 711 AD. Though many view this long-standing tradition as art and culture, others view it as torture and animal cruelty. A bullfight has three rounds: the spear round, the "barbed-spear" round, and the death round. During the first two rounds, the bull is weakened and agitated by a serious of stabbings by different members of the bullfighting team. In the final round, the death round, the bull is stabbed in the heart by the matador after entertaining the crowd with dance-like "paseos" and movements with the traditional red cape. The crowd's reaction determines the matador's prizes: one ear, two ears, or two ears and the tail of the bull. Thousands and thousands buy tickets every year to witness this cultural Spanish tradition. After viewing the two articles and any other research you would like to do on your own, let us know your thoughts. Do you consider bullfighting a form of art and culture? Or do you see it as a form of animal torture? 





5 comments:

  1. I believe that bullfighting is an art and tradition that just happens to also be torturous to animals. By no means do I think that it should be taken away from the Spanish. In fact, the best alternative would be if some type of compromise could be made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you made an interesting pint. What compromise could you see being a resolution for both sides of the debate? Thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find bullfighting to be very interesting. I see where some people would think that it is torture to the animals, but this is something that has been around for years and is a part of a culture. I think if you want to support it and go watch or be a bullfighter then great, but if you don’t agree with it then just don’t go and watch and don’t support it. I couldn’t imagine being a bullfighter or having someone I love and care about be a bullfighter just because I would be scared for their safety. However, if I ever get a chance to go I would love to go watch a bullfight someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, bullfighters begin training as a young child to be a matador! Can you imagine?! I have 10 year old, and I can't even picture it, but I've heard others compare it to training for a sport that also has high injury rate. Thank you for your comment!

      Delete